Property owners are responsible for maintaining a safe environment so that someone entering or coming onto the property is not injured. This is known as ‘premises liability”. Property owners are liable for any negligence of their property that may cause harm to an individual. The laws governing premises liability vary by state and take into account several factors, such as:
- The legal status of the visitor
- The condition of the property and the actions of both the owner and the visitor
- If the person injured is a trespasser or a child
- When both the owner and the visitor is at fault for an injury
- Special rules for landlords.