FDA Warning: Gabapentin/Pregabalin
Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant; brand names for gabapentin and Lyrica, Lyrica CR or pregabalin, are currently being targetted by the FDA for causing serious breathing problems.
Gabapentin and pregabalin are prescribed for conditions such as nerve pain, restless legs syndrome and even seizures.
FDA.gov – “FDA is requiring new warnings about the risk of respiratory depression to be added to the prescribing information of the gabapentinoids. FDA has also required the drug manufacturers to conduct clinical trials to further evaluate their abuse potential, particularly in combination with opioids, because misuse and abuse of these products together is increasing, and co-use may increase the risk of respiratory depression.”
Symptoms to keep an eye out for:
- Confusion or disorientation
- Unusual dizziness or lightheadedness
- Extreme sleepiness or lethargy
- Slowed, shallow, or difficulty breathing
- Unresponsiveness, which means a person doesn’t answer or react normally or you can’t wake them up
- Bluish-colored or tinted skin, especially on the lips, fingers, and toes